Are you worried that your child may be at risk from being affected or involved in knife crime? It's important that you understand what you can do to promote your child's welfare and safeguard them from potential harm.
This course aims to help increase your knowledge of the subject so that you feel confident in recognising the dangers, reporting your concerns, and promoting good personal safety to your child..
The learning objectives for this course are as follows:
- To define knife crime and serious youth violence
- To know the myths and facts surrounding knife crime
- To know the UK-wide statistics and the hot spot areas
- To know why knife crime has become a problem
- To know the type of young people and circumstances that present the greatest risk
- To explore the dangers to others and to oneself of carrying knives (the health implications and risks to personal safety)
- To look at a knife crime case study
- To understand the cycle of revenge and reprisals
- To be aware of the Criminal Justice Response: the legal implications of carrying a knife (such as possession, stop and search, and joint enterprise)
- To be able to recognise the victims and the impact on family and community
- To know how to identify risk and the signs and indicators that your child may be putting themselves at risk
- To know how to effectively talk to a young person when you have concerns
- To understand building resilience (empowering the child to keep themselves safe, making critical decisions, dealing with conflict and managing risk)
- To understand safeguarding and reporting your concerns - how a concern may come to your attention, how to respond to a disclosure, why young people often don't disclose information, and what to do next
- To know who to go to if you have a concern
- To know the essential and specialist services available
- To know what happens after a referral - how to follow up, what to do if you don't agree with the decision, strategy discussions, and further support
This course is specifically for employees who work with Leaving Care and is fully CPD accredited.
Should you have 5 or more learners requiring this training please consider the face to face option we offer.
Should you wish to discuss your needs before making a booking, please call 0800 774 7874.